I feel the need to be sentimental and maybe a bit defensive (but I will get to that later). Almost 1 year ago today I went with Scottward and a bunch of my friends to see Twilight on opening day. What an amazing time! My friend Jill had turned my on to Twilight. She kept telling me that I had to read it (so was my sis-in-law Melanie who told me that they were amazing and I had to read them and now she thinks I'm crazy for really liking it). I think that was about August or Sept of 2007. I thought to myself "why do I want to read a book about vampires written by a Mormon author. Really?". Being from Utah I was born and raised Mormon (I really don't go to church anymore, maybe once in a while), so I have nothing against the religion. In my Jazzy little mind I was thinking "what is the big deal with this book called Twilight?" or "is Stephenie Meyer having the vampires do church activities?". So I gave in and decided to give it a chance. I read it and I couldn't put it down. And then I found myself thinking about the book and the characters all the time. It wasn't one of those books where you can read it and forget about it. I kept obsessing about them. I would look at people and think to myself "oh she would make an awesome Alice" or "I wonder if people like Edward really exist". After Twilight I delved into New Moon and Eclipse. Jill and I would sit and talk about them all the time. Then I started to discover websites about the book. I started reading TwilightMOMS and the Twilight Lexicon. Then we found out a movie was going to be made. Wow. We sat and talked about who we thought should play Bella and Edward. It was great. Now here we are with just a few days (I think 6 and some odd hours) until New Moon is released. I'm volunteering my time to help with an event planned in Salt Lake City (www.eventsbyalice.com). It's going to be huge and fun and worth all the blood, sweat, and tears. In all honesty I didn't really know how big Twilight (the book) really was. I mean, I knew it was huge, but I didn't know that it would totally blow up after the movie. Which it has. I can honestly say I've been on the band wagon from the beginning for this lovely series of books. I LOVE them! You can call me a freak show, or you can tell me I'm too old for it. I truly don't care. I'm in this, and I'm fine with it. It wouldn't be my first time getting made fun of. I'm sure it won't be my last! If you want to debate about my Twilightitis bring it on. :)
Friday, November 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment